Friday, April 15, 2011

Last Day in India


The last day I had an FDP(faculty Directed Practica) with my World Religions professor.  We went to the University of Madras for a lecture of Ghandi’s Legacy of Nonviolence.  My professor also teaches a Philosophy on Nonviolence course.  It was incredible, there were 7 different lectures all speaking on the behalf of their religion.  If you would like to hear more about what I learned, read on.
Ghandi’s Legacy of Nonviolence FDP was incredibly eye opening and educational.  I was impressed with how my understanding of non violence and religion solidified in such a short period time.  It was an incredible opportunity to learn from various scholars who specialize in religions that I have been trying to grasp.  Throughout the various lectures, I was in awe and excited about this vital information that was being shared.  Not only did this FDP give a well-rounded education on religion and non-violence, but also it sparked a curiosity to learn more and inspired me to integrate my studies. 
            When I first walked on the University of Madras campus, an excitement filled my body. I became a fresh college student again who appreciates lecture halls, coffee shops, and learning from professors. It brought me back to intense long days at Berkeley where my fuel came from the excitement to learn.  As I reflected on this, I could not believe where I was and where I was going.  I would soon step into a classroom and learn from an Indian professor about Ghandi’s legacy of non-violence.  
            Each speaker addressed two questions regarding their religion and the relevance or lack of non-violence.  The seven speakers gave an overview of their religion and addressed the questions in about ten minutes.  Although a short period of time, it was the perfect way to learn about different religions with a good basis for comparisons.  Some keynotes from the religion of Christianity include Jesus’ stance on nonviolence.  He chose neither fighting or fleeting and stood up to the oppressors.  The cross is a symbol for nonviolence.  One keynote from Islamic religion is that peace begins from Allah.  Jainism is nothing but nonviolence with a very intense philosophy that my American upbringing has a hard time conceptualizing.  The forefront of their ideas rest in nonviolence and the equality for all living beings.  All beings want to live; nothing wants to die.  Their stance includes the idea that killing a living being is killing one’s self.  I find this very interesting.   Buddhism follows the ideas of Buddha in which he says don’t react even if attacked, do good things, and keep the mind pure.  Sikhism says that there is only one God who has supreme power and all religions belong to him.  God is one for all the world; there are no different Gods for different faiths.  This makes sense to me and I agree with it and if carried out, this belief could aid peace among religions.  For Hinduism, the speaker began with saying in Hindu-“May there be peace in you mind, heart, and actions”.  She then asked, how can there be peace in your mind when you are witnessing non-peace?  This got my mind stirring and especially when the speaker questioned how can there be nonviolence when we are trying to survive?  For example when we boil water we kill microorganisms.  On a different level, violence stems from the ego and we need to be free from the ego.  The speaker ended with something that stuck in my mind.  He said, something in regards to the peak of peace and how you can test yourself in yoga.  I would like to explore this more.
An important keynote of Ghandi’s philosophy that I found valuable is the idea that we can not distinguish between means and ends.  He made people engaged through movements in which he forced people to have an opinion.  He respectably questioned his own traditions as well.
I am interested in the peace education in India and throughout the world.  It seems to be vitally important; we need more peace leaders and educators in this world.  The emphasis on peace studies rather than peace movements is a new idea to me that makes perfect sense.  It moves away from a reactionary method to a preventative and ideal form.  It is necessary for the future of peace in our world.  In order to even consider world peace, religions need to live in peace with one another. 
I will pass on my newly acquired knowledge of Ghandi’s legacy and variations of religions.  Some things I took note of include Ghandi’s quote, “my life is my message”.  This saying rings in my head for another one of Ghandi’s quotes-“be the change you wish to see in the world” has taken on a new meaning in my life.  I have always been fond of the saying but not until recently has it made a point to change my views on the way I live.  I see it more clearly and my desires to change the world need to begin with changing the way I live as an example for others.   I am rethinking my consumption on all levels and seriously considering the philosophy of nonviolence.  Never did I consider eating meat an act of violence but with a new perspective of nonviolence of animals I am reconsidering this concept.  I am reconsidering the amount of water consumed to raise cattle and the environmental effects as well.   Since eating vegetarian all throughout India, I am continuing this practice.  Although lent holds as my incentive I can see myself taking this on as a change in lifestyle for the long term.







No comments:

Post a Comment