Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cambodia


I just got back into my room from my long trip to Cambodia.  I am exhausted and my body hurts haha I am not in the mood to write but I know if I don’t do it now, I will never get to it.  Everything is so quick, intense, new, and incredible that it is hard to process more or less write about it.  So heres a brief idea of what I did in Vietnam

Depart Vietnam for Phnom Penh-the Capital by plane.  On our way, our bus breaks down in middle of busy street.  We hang out on side of road for a bit, the pick up a new bus to visit national museum-beautiful temple like building.  The moment I stepped foot in Cambodia and especially at the museum I completely relaxed.  It was so serene
Sunset Cruise on Mekong river-saw the meeting of three rivers, where they have dragon racing, and water village
At around 8PM visited Palm Tree Orphanage.  From beginning to end, girl latched onto my arm and did not let go.  It was cool to visit them late at night because we got to really see what it is like.  Some of them were in pajamas
We got dinner at a fancy authentic restaurant then a bunch of us went out afterwards.  So many foreigners! It’s a happening place.  Ran into a group of Americans at a club with live music.  I was loving the vibe and the people.  There were three girls who I really enjoyed meeting and ended up hanging out with them and their friends for the rest of the night.  One was a Cal grad, another a semester at sea grad, and a Peace Corpse volunteer.  They were with a bunch of other young Americans working for the US embassy.  Some in international relations, some military, overall a great group of people who know how to have a good time.  I could totally see myself doing this in the future.  Actually the semester at sea alumni sailed in spring 06 and did the exact same Cambodia trip!  We stayed right across from the US embassy so I was able to get a ride back with them. 
Early rise, buffet breakfast, tour of royal palace-got to see where the king lives.  Went to Toul Sleng museum and killing fields.  This was intense and I will write more about it later. 
Flight to Siem Reap, stay at sweet hotel, take a swim in the pool relax on balcony.  Go to huge outdoor buffet style dinner with cultural dance show.  Get back to hotel and enjoyed a massage before bed.  My roommate and I both got a 1hr massage in our rooms for 10 dollars! 
Sunrise at Angkor Wat temple-largest Hindu temple in the world, full day of tours and wandering around grounds of temple.  Lunch and check out of the hotel with some free time.  I got a quick dip in the pool and a mai thai before some more touring of temples and ruin.  Saw the temple of where tomb raider was shot. 
Hope you can comprehend this! I had the most awesome trip, it was unreal half the time.  I am so happy.  Now to bed.  Early rise for visit to disabled children’s home :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment