Saturday, February 5, 2011

Birthday Party in the Amazon


Three of us decided to stay an extra night after hearing about a local Amazon birthday party.  Alan was telling us about it and his eyes lit up with excitement, we had to go! Addi, Miller and I had a real cultural experience but more importantly we experienced something deeper.  We connected with the people, through celebration, butchered conversation, good food, and music.  They welcomed us into their lives and showed us a good time.  The party was very close at a home on the water.  It was a small and open house that rested on the Amazon.  Families boated over, even the music was two speakers positioned on a boat docked outside.  Kids were jumping in and out of the water.  The deck of the home was half underwater with all the weight. It was really cool to see families interact, people of all ages dancing, and enjoying the party.  The brazilian BBQ was unreal and the birthday cake was chocolate-a local supply. We played volleyball with the kids and danced for hours.  The night came to an end as the night sky lit up with flashes of lightning.  Anyways, I could go on forever but it is late and I need to prepare for AFRICA! In the morning, we will dock in Ghana!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I put your blog on my favorites bar and pretty much check it every time I'm looking to procrastinate. I can't hardly believe how incredible your adventures sound. You ate LARVA? That's sooo gross! And the piranha, that's so COOL! I can't believe you let ants crawl all over your arms and then smushed their bodies on your arms, that's so insane! Anyways, I am beaming with happiness for everything you are experiencing right now. Most of the people in the world will never in their lives experience everything you are. I can't express this feeling right now, it pretty much equates to me living through your experiences. So keep on living them up!!!!!
    I LOVE YOU!!! I think of you a million times each day when I have things I want to share with you. Sending thoughts of love from an entire other continent.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete